Radio has been the most accessible medium to the people in the US. According to a recent study conducted by Advameg Inc., over 575 million radio sets are being used in the United States, which does not include cell phones and other means. Counting other sources, the figure surpassed 896 million.The count of the people who listens to online radio continues to grow enormously.
According to Edison Research and Triton Digital, through their ‘The Infinite Dial’ report conducted in 2019, the percentage of Americans who listen to online audio has doubled since 2012. About 67% of Americans aged 12 and older have listened to online radio in that particular month, a 3% increase from the previous year.
According to another survey, Radio stands as the leading reach platform with about 92% of people listening to it over the airwaves, while the TV viewership is only about 87%.
Topics Covered - Index
The above statistics indicate that the Radio has a greater potential reach even today. This unlocks broader possibilities for radio advertisers. Besides this, it also caters to creating new employment opportunities in the field.
Radio Advertising Stats in the USA
As the radio has become the leading reach platform, many advertisers in the USA have shown keen interest in radio advertising to promote their brand to the masses. Topping the radio advertisers list is the T-Mobile US (Deutsche Telekom) that spent a record 220 million U.S. dollars on radio ads in 2019.
According to Statista, the leading radio advertisers in the United States in 2019 are T-Mobile US (Deutsche Telekom) (220 million), Comcast Corp. (170 million), Berkshire Hathaway (135 million), Procter & Gamble Co. (119 million), AT&T (101 million), Home Depot (89 million), Walt Disney Co. (88 million), Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (72 million) iHeartMedia (70 million), U.S. Government (69 million).
According to a survey conducted in 2008, the radio revenue exceeded over $19 billion, of which over $13 billion came from local businesses.
Why should you advertise on the Radio?
According to surveys done by different organizations, it is known that about 92% of Americans above age 12 listen to the radio every week. Also, over 59% of the country’s population listens to the radio daily. Of all these, over 80% listen to the radio from their cars’ radio sets.
Listening to brand advertisements before going on a shopping spree will impact the buyer’s decision leaves the advertiser with a high conversion rate. Some statistics have shown that over 25% of people who hear about a brand on the radio are more likely to gain interest.
The other most significant reason to consider them is that they are the most accessible media in the United States. There are 575 million radio transmitters in the US alone, excluding cell phones and other means, says Advameg Inc.
Radio Employment Statistics in the USA
According to Occupational Employment Statistics from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 3,370 news employees in the radio broadcasting industry in 2018, which is 1,000 lesser than in 2004. Earlier, they used to be 4,290 news employees.
In 2018, the average wage for reporters, news analysts, and correspondents in the radio broadcasting industry was about $42,000, while the editors had an annual average wage of about $74,000.
Radio Revenue Statistics in the USA
According to the data from Pew Research Center analysis of MEDIA Access Pro & BIA Advisory Services, the average station review for all-news stations has slowly declined for the past eight years. However, it remained steady in 2018.
According to Statista, the U.S. radio stations made about 9.7 billion U.S. dollars in OTA revenues in 2020, a 3.1 billion decrease from the previous year.
- Internet Radio Statistics
- How to Make Headphones Louder?
- Best Shortwave Radios to buy
- Best Internet Radio Stations
- Ham vs CB Radio
Interesting Radio Stats & Facts
- A study states that the radio is the leading reach platform with a whopping share of 92% that listens to AM/FM radio over the airwaves. While the TV viewership stands at 87%, followed by smartphone use (81%) and PC use (54%).
- The average revenue per user (ARPU) is expected to be US$11.57.
- Over 244.5 million American adults listen to the radio each month.
- The revenue in the Traditional Radio segment is expected to reach US$F34,812 million by 2021.
- It is expected that the number of Radio users should hit 3,107.8 million by 2025.
- Compared globally, the revenue generated by the United States will be more than that of any other country. It is expected to hit US$12,935m in 2021.
- User penetration will be 40.0% in 2021 and is expected to hit 39.9% by 2025.
- Revenue is expected to show an annual growth rate (CAGR 2021-2025) of 0.24%, resulting in a projected market volume of US$35,143m by 2025.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the US Radio Broadcasting Industry employing people? Is the employment in the US Radio industry going to decline or grow in the coming 5 years?
If you consider the stats for the past decade, the average business in the Radio Broadcasting industry in the US now employs more workers than it did in the past five years. It is expected that employment in the US Radio Broadcasting industry is expected to grow over the next 5 years.
- How many people listen to the radio in the USA?
At any given time in the United States of America, an average of 7.5 million people listen to the radio. This is based on a recent survey conducted this year. There is a slight improvement compared to the previous year.
- Does radio reach people well?
Radio is the leading reach platform in the United States, with a weekly reach of around 82.5 percent among adults.
- Is radio an ideal platform for advertisers?
Radio can be considered a decent platform for advertisers as it is a leading reach platform in the US. Besides this, over 25% of people who listen to a brand are interested in it.